Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 2....Zen, Traffic and Being Okay

Ahhhh day two.  You started off so bright, sunny and full of potential.  To bad I slept through most of it. I had a late night, thoughts of my blog swimming in my head as well as a new level of angst over a meeting I had to attend today. No matter how hard I tried (and believe me I tried!) to fall asleep it did not come until the wee wee hours of the morning. It is never a good sign when you hear birds chirping and you are trying to sleep.
It was my alarm that snapped me back into the land of the awake at the nice helpful time of noon.  I looked at my table and sighed. Should I MAKE the time to clean it as was my plan and risk falling behind on things that I needed to do to be fully ready for my meeting? A quick trip to my coffee maker was all it took to put me into the right frame of mind.  The table could wait. My meeting, and being ready for it, was far greater to my overall mental zen then the table was. So I sat, looking at my table and sipping my coffee going over all me "mental notes" for the meeting as well getting my directions via map quest. It was during this time that I had my first (hopefully not my last) "aha!" moment.  All mornings should be like this..(not the sleeping in late) taking my time to be prepared, relaxed and far more ready to go.
I went to my meeting (leaving plenty of time for traffic) and arrived early, relaxed and prepared. It was a nice change..my meeting went well and it was time to head home..in RUSH HOUR traffic, 82 degree heat and me dressed in black pants, a black tank and an over shirt...it was hot, and there was a point in time when I was not moving at all on the highway.
I was beginning to feel that familiar frustration. I wanted to be home, I wanted to be cooler than I was and more than anything I wanted the person in front of me to hang up her phone and drive!! Remembering what I had recently read I made the choice to sit back a bit, relax and just enjoy the drive. I put my windows down, cranked up the feel good music and just let the frustration go. It was in no way my fault that everyone and their mother was on the same road. Nor could I control the fact that some of them needed driving lessons. The only thing I could control was my feelings about it all. So I let the sun shine in on me, open sunroof and all. And it felt good. In the pacific northwest sunny days are rare so I just enjoyed it. Before I knew it I was home, safe and sound. I walked into my still messy apartment, tossed my purse onto my still messy table and for once I was okay with that.  I may not have accomplished my clean table goal, but I did accomplish a drive home in rush hour traffic with my sanity and blood pressure in tact. Tomorrow I will try the table again, and if it does not happen I think I will be okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment